50 North committed to the construction and renovation work long before COVID-19.
Expansion of the building started back in March. The renovation of the East side of the existing building was to begin later this year or early in 2021.
Due to the unforeseen mandate of closing 50 North because of COVID-19 on March 12, 2020, the 50 North Board of Trustees made the decision to make the most of the required shutdown and fast track the renovation schedule. The decision to move forward on the East side renovation now was mainly to limit the disruption to our members.
Our members have been asking our staff, “What is going on with construction at 50 North?”
Here is an update:
East Side Renovation
- The east side renovation has been completed and we received the occupancy permit from Wood County a couple months ago. We still have some small items that will be completed with the basement renovation which is scheduled to begin in January of 2021. The first floor renovation included drywall repair, painting, new ceiling grid and tile, heating and A/C upgrades, electrical, plumbing, and all new carpet. The existing fitness studio on the first floor will remain the fitness studio “as is” until the basement renovation has been completed. Then that area will be refreshed and used as a game room.
West Side Building Addition
- All of the brock has been completed, interior walls have been completed, the drywall is being painted, carpet is being installed in the office area. Windows and exterior doors have been installed. Concrete steps and the wheel chair ramp has been poured. The steel roof panels are installed and installation of soffit is underway.
East Side Building Addition
- All the concrete walls and masonry block walls have been completed and installation of the brick exterior is underway. The steel roof trusses, steel decking, roof insulation and weatherproofing has been completed waiting on the steel roof panels to be installed. The steel stud walls in the basement have been built, electrical and sprinkler system are roughed in, and HVAC is under way.
- All of the new light post have been installed and are working.
- The new catch basins on the East side have been installed, downspout tiles completed, drain lines installed.
- The new vault for power has been installed in the ground, conduits run into the building.
- Most of the asphalt has been removed on the East side and South side of the building. The new concrete curbs and sidewalks on the South side of the building will start soon.
This work is essential to our ability to meet the growing demand for senior services driven by the growing senior population in Hancock County